Wefarm is the world’s largest platform connecting the small-scale farming community. Millions of farmers, retailers, and brands come together on Wefarm to grow their businesses.
Small-scale farming is one of the largest and most important industries in the world, with over one billion people globally involved in it. We’re working towards connecting this community so small-scale farmers can gain a better position in global agricultural supply chains. Some of the world’s leading VCs are backing us on this mission, including True Ventures in Silicon Valley.
Since our launch in 2015, we’ve grown to serve over two million farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Our platform has facilitated the (free) exchange of over 18 million messages to share knowledge, generated over $5 million in marketplace sales, and sold nearly half a million products.
So far, we’ve partnered with 100+ brands to give our members fair prices on the quality products they are looking for.
Our next milestone is to have 100 million farmers benefiting from Wefarm. Join us and be part of our mission to build an ecosystem for global agriculture, with the farmer at the centre.
We are looking for an ambitious and highly motivated Finance Director to join us on the next stage of our journey.
You’ll be responsible for managing a small team of employees based in the UK and East Africa. You’ll have experience in start up tech companies as well as international businesses and bring that experience to bear in developing a world-class financial control team that can balance the need to maintain effective controls within a fast-paced “test and learn” environment while bringing commercial insights to the fore.
What you’ll be doing:
Ensuring Finance is compliant & accessible to all stakeholders
- Responsible for all aspects of management and statutory reporting ensuring that finance is accessible to all stakeholders. You’ll prepare insightful monthly management account packs and flash reporting to ensure that the business always has a strong grasp on performance and financial position.
- Taking a leading role to maintain and build relationships with our financial and tax advisors and keep yourself, and the broader finance team, abreast of developments that impact Wefarm across it's markets, and recommending how Wefarm should address any changes.
- Responsible for overall group tax compliance, manage VAT process and ensure Wefarm is able to make the most of available R&D incentive programmes.
- Managing relationships with external accountants and auditors and ensuring that the Wefarm Group is ready for it's first audit.
- Overall responsibility and accountability for the day to day financial operations, implementation, monitoring and developing of financial policies
Leadership and development of finance team
- Provide guidance to the finance team on accounting and finance matters, processes, procedures, internal controls, tax and other statutory compliance matters.
- Manage trainings for departmental staff on the use of the finance systems and identify periodic skills development or in-house training opportunities for staff;
- Build and maintain relationships with our various banking partners
Financial leadership across global organisation
- You’ll act as an ambassador for a robust financial control environment, balancing these needs with those of a fast paced, developing business. You’ll be comfortable with manual work-arounds where needed and lead on discussions across the organization to ensure that finance’s needs are met.
- Leading annual budgeting and quarterly reforecasting across Wefarm to pull together a comprehensive and joined-up budget that is used to manage the business and then monitoring actual performance versus budgets - understanding variances, opportunities for improvement or when to double down on successes.
- Bringing our KPIs into the room: regularly monitoring our KPIs, understand what is driving change, and identify efficiencies
- Championing financial awareness and insight across Wefarm - making sure that finance is supporting the business’ commitment to transparency.
- Administering Wefarm’s EMI option schemes.
- Supporting the SLT at future fundraising events including building financial models, datarooms and managing financial due diligence questions and supporting on the financial elements of marketing materials and presentations.
You should have:
- Qualified accountant with at least 7 years of post qualified experience or similar
- Experience leading small finance team and a passion for developing people
- At least two years experience working in a start-up environment (Ideally Seed through Series B)
- Technically strong and knowledgeable in UK GAAP and IFRS
- Good communication skills to be able to build relationships internally and externally
- Exposure to working in an international setting with experience dealing with tax planning and structuring and able to complete standard UK tax filings (VAT, Annual Returns)
- Strong teamwork skills and demonstrate the ability to get involved and assist team members where needed
- Familiarity with Xero a plus
- Enthusiastic and adaptable to fast-paced start-up life
Wefarm is a global business that believes in flexible working and shared ownership.
Every Wefarmer is a shareholder in the business; we are all the makers and owners of Wefarm’s vision. We also offer pension packages, extended healthcare, enhanced parental leave, personal coaching (with MoreHappi), learning allowance and study leave.
As a global business we believe that remote first is the future of work, and support our teams in creating the best setup for their personal situation; every Wefarmer gets the standard tech they need and a stipend to set up their home office & we offer flexible office solutions globally. Being remote first doesn’t mean we don’t spend time together though; we have regular global team events (virtual for now) and local meet ups (where possible), bi-weekly All Hands meeting to make sure everyone is up to date, and hope that our next annual WeCamp (global get together) will be in person again next year.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Wefarm, we’re building a place where everyone belongs and can add value, regardless of their background - and our team is no different. We’re working hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture where we take inspiration from different experiences, backgrounds and ways of thinking. If you share our values and enthusiasm for connecting the world’s small-scale farmers, you may be a great fit for Wefarm.