Reporting to the VP Finance and with the support of a UK Financial Accountant and Ugandan-based East Africa Financial Controller, the Group Financial Controller will continue to build and run the financial control function as the business continues to accelerate and begin to commercialise.
This position will be based in London, but working closely with finance and non-finance colleagues in East Africa. Some travel will be required.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Establishing robust, best practise controls and processes to manage the financial reporting of the relevant legal entities and businesses as well as leading a culture of continual improvement.
- Preparation of monthly management reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Leading on operational finance including transaction posting and coding, FX and cash management, and credit recovery.
- Tax compliance ensuring returns are correctly drafted and filed in a timely manner and optimisation working alongside external advisers to maximise recovery from government R&D schemes etc.
- Managing relationship with external accountants and coordinating the preparation of statutory accounts for all entities in accordance with the relevant accounting principles and the legislation of the countries in which they operate.
- Developing a strong working relationship with the Head of Finance, who is responsible for partnering with the rest of the business and supporting the finance aspects of the commercial expansion.
- Collaborating with the HR to ensure that payroll is executed properly.
- Managing a small team, based in London and Uganda to support the above activities.
You will be an ambitious and hard-working individual who is excited by the prospect of working in a fast-paced start-up environment. More specifically you will be:
- ACCA/CIMA/ACA qualified with first time passes.
- At least three years post qualified experience within a financial control function and should be able to bring a rounded understanding of best practice in financial control built from experience.
- Demonstrable experience driving change and improvements to accounting processes, systems and controls, with a good awareness of various UK filing requirements.
- A results-oriented mindset and be determined in resolving issues and achieving objectives.
- Experience managing a small team and enjoy the coaching aspect of working with a range of team members to support their professional development.
- Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with colleagues globally would be advantageous.
Rewards package and remuneration
The total rewards package and remuneration will be based on experience and potential, but is highly competitive and will include share options. We believe in our team being not only the executors of Wefarm’s visions but the makers and owners of it!
As a global business, travel is essential to who we are, and will be a perk (and requirement) of the job. We also host an annual whole company get together (Wecamp), previously held in Kenya and Uganda. In addition, we have flexible working environment (within reason of course!), and we value spending time together - boarding the weekly lunch train, sharing some drinks on a Friday and frequent social events throughout the year.
We will review applicants on an ongoing basis, unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.